NSW Police Crime Prevention Series
Modern life is all about easy access and convenience for the customer. This includes how we
receive and send goods and information.
Items such as credit cards, driver’s licences and utility statements sent out in the mail include vital
personal details of you and your family.
In the wrong hands, some of this information can be used to create false identifications and
used for crime. This type of crime costs millions of dollars annually and can have devastating
consequences for your financial reputation.
By following some of these simple tips, we all can better protect ourselves from this type of crime.
Secure Your Mail
- Always install a lockable mailbox.
- Always use a quality lock on your mailbox.
- Never allow your mailbox to become full or overflow.
Protect Your Mail
- Always arrange to collect new credit cards from the bank or post office.
- Always have mail held at the post office or collected by a friend when you’re away for extended periods.
- Always have your mail cleared daily.
Protect Your Identity
- Always beware of ‘cold calling’ and confirm who you are talking to.
- Never give any of your personal details to people you don’t know or trust.
- Always contact your bank, financial institution or service provider if you think you have been contacted by a scammer.
If you are aware of mail being stolen and used to obtain fraudulent identity, please contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online at www.crimestoppers.com.au.
For more crime prevention information visit us on www.police.nsw.gov.au